What’s common between ‘Ludo’, ‘Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl’, ‘Torbaaz’, ‘Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare’, ‘Raat Akeli Hai’ and ‘Class of 83’? Well, just one thing…one of them will hit theatres. These titles are headed to streaming giant Netflix. As many as 17 films and series are ready to release on the platform thanks to the pandemic keeping theaters closed all over the world. Hence the makers of these films have decided to curb their mounting losses by releasing big names like Abhishek Bachchan, Janhvi Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt, Nawazuddin Siddiqui and others’ straight on digital. Disney Plus Hotstar was another platform which had recently announced some big films like ‘Laxxmi Bomb’, ‘Bhuj: The Pride of India’ and ‘Sadak 2’. Amitabh Bachchan and Ayushmann Khurrana’s ‘Gulabo Sitabo’ was recently released on Prime Video by Amazon who will also stream Vidya Balan’s ‘Shakuntala Devi’ at the end of July.
List of Netflix Premieres:
1. Ludo – Directed by Anurag Basu and featuring Abhishek A Bachchan, Rajkummar Rao, Aditya Roy Kapur, Pankaj Tripathi, Fatima Sana Shaikh, Sanya Malhotra, and Asha Negi among others.
2. Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl – Featuring Janhvi Kapoor, is a biopic on air force pilot Gunjan Saxena who was the first woman to enter the war zone of Kargil during India-Pakistan war.
3. Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare – features Konkona Sensharma and Bhumi Pednekar.
4. Torbaaz – Featuring Sanjay Dutt, Nargis Fakhri and Rahul Dev.
5. AK vs AK – Directed by Vikramaditya Motwane, it features Anil Kapoor and Anurag Kashyap.
6. Class of ’83 – Produced by Shah Rukh Khan’s Red Chillies Entertainment and features Bobby Deol.
7. Serious Men – It’s a film based on a book by the same name written by journalist Manu Joseph.
8. Kaali Khuhi – Directed by Terrie Samundra, the film is about female infanticide in Punjab and traces the story of a 10-year-old girl who saves a village marred by the ill practice of female infanticide.
9. Tribhanga: Tedhi Medhi Crazy – features Kajol, Mithila Palkar and Neena Gupta.
10. Bombay Rose – Directed by Gitanjali Rao, the film is about a club dancer who escapes child marriage and living on the streets of Bombay. It is based on true events.
11. Ginny Weds Sunny – Featuring Vikrant Massey and Yami Gautam.
12. Raat Akeli Hai – Featuring Radhika Apte and Nawazuddin Siddiqui.